The Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen is a unique breed that looks like a combination of several other breeds.
This dog has the short stature and strong build of the Basset Hound with the shaggy, gruff appearance of various Griffon-type breeds.
The Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen may be small but it has a big, friendly personality.
The Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen is one of four Griffon Vendeens – the others are the Grand Griffon Vendeen, the Briquet Griffon Vendeen, and the Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen. This breed was developed as a scent hound in France with its origins dating back to the 16th century.
If you want a dog who...
- Is built long and low to the ground, with a rustic wiry coat and whiskery face
- Is tough and robust, bold and curious
- Is energetic and enthusiastic and always looking for something to do
- Thrives on vigorous outdoor exercise
It shares its history with the larger Griffon Vendeen, though it is distinguished by its petite size and short stature.
The Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen is an intelligent breed which means that it should respond quickly to training.
It is also important to note, however, that as a hound, the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen can be a little stubborn and strong-willed at times.
If you don't want to deal with...
- Providing a good amount of exercise
- Strong instincts to chase other animals who run
- Strong-willed mind of his own, requiring a confident owner who can take charge
- Running away, oblivious to your calls, when an interesting scent catches his attention
The Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen is a friendly breed that loves to spend time with people. This breed is often described as being “endlessly happy” because its tail never stops wagging.
This dog has a long double coat that often exhibits a tousled appearance. The hair is long and rough, growing long on the face to give the dog the appearance of a beard and moustache. The primary color for this breed is white, though many dogs exhibit spots of yellow, orange, black, gray, sable or tan.